A Sample SEO Checklist for a New Website
Creating a new website is an exciting endeavour! Whether it’s for a new business or an existing one, a new blog or even a portfolio -launching a new website can be a thrilling jaunt into the unknown. If you’re in the planning stages of a new website, one thing you need to keep in mind is search engine optimization (SEO) best practices.
Having a strong SEO foundation will help your website begin to achieve better rankings right out of the starting gate, so we have a simple SEO checklist for new websites.
- Have a well-researched list of keywords – keywords are the backbone of any search engine optimization initiative, because they help you track results. You should have a list of non-competitive and competitive keywords to address short-term and long-term growth.
- Make sure your site isn’t too heavy on images, and at best, strikes a balance between look and substance. You want to make sure that, while your site can pop visually, you have ample room for content as well. Your navigation should be textual as well, if possible.
- Inject the aforementioned keywords into your content conservatively. You want them in your copy maybe 1-2% of the time. Also use specific keywords for specific pages, as keywords and content need to be original and varied on a page by page basis.
- Create varied title and meta language that uses your page-specific keywords. Beware of Â tag lengths. Title tags should never exceed eighty characters, and meta tags never exceed 255.
- Keep the URL structure as simple as possible. Search engine spiders have an easier time following links if the URLs are short and simple, so avoid long strings of variables (common issue with e-commerce sites).
Keeping these factors in mind will help you gain an edge over other new websites that are launching with little to no SEO implementation. If you’re launching a new website, and need help implementing an SEO strategy — or even creating one — then contact 180Fusion. We can help you start your new website off right with a complete SEO solution that gets you the results you deserve.